Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Food for Thought

Some books are pure entertainment. They take the reader into another world, and when the book is done, the reader thinks "hey, that was fun." Other books, however, not only entertain, but they also propel the reader into thought and questioning. One such book is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Not only did this book keep me reading, but I could not help but question myself, the characters, and both worlds: the real world and the fictional one.

The main character of The Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen, was faced with great challenges during the annual Hunger Games during which her whole purpose was to kill everyone else in the arena. As I read, I found myself feeling almost weak. I know for a fact that if I were placed in the Hunger Games, I would be the first to die. Compared to Katniss and the other players, even the young and innocent Rue, I am seriously handicapped. I wondered how I could fare in such a situation, and I admired how the characters in the book showed such immense strength.

In the book, the Hunger Games are controlled by important people to make them interesting to watch and difficult to win. Throughout the book, the Gamemakers threw challenges and horrors at Katniss such as a spontaneous fire. However, they also seemed to bend the rules when they agreed to let two people win if they were from the same place. Then, a few days later, the Gamemakers revoked this rule. In other words, Katniss had to continually change her state of mind. One moment she has a partner, and the next she is supposed to kill him. I was astounded by how quickly she could adjust to these changes. As a person who resists change, I could see how difficult this would be.

I also was horrified at how a government could force such annual bloodshed. Not only did they force the Hunger Games to take place, they also forced all other citizens to watch. I cannot imagine how terrible watching such a program would be.

After I finished The Hunger Games, I found myself hungry for more so to speak. I cannot wait to find out how the rest of the trilogy plays out.

1 comment:

  1. I too am eagerly awaiting the last book's release in August.

    It is "horrif[ying] at how a government could force such annual bloodshed." Do you see this horror in real life? Are there existing examples of governments the rule with iron fists and shed the blood of their own citizens?

    ReplyDelete