Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Modern Marvel

For my confirmation, I received a book called Blessed Gianna Beretta Molla: A Woman's Life. At first, I pictured the book would be a semi-interesting, informative biography. I soon discovered inspiration and a wonderful story within the book's pages.

In a nutshell, Saint Gianna Molla was a modern day saint who lives between 1922 and 1962. She grew up with twelve siblings in a very religious family. She went to college to become a nurse to fulfill a need to help people. Gianna had four children herself, the last of which she sacrificed her life to give birth to. She remained as religious as her parents, and she went to mass every single day. She was the leader of many church youth and women's organizations. However, she also had many other interests such as opera, mountain climbing, and skiing. Of course, none of these took a larger place in her heart than that of her God.

Throughout the book, first-hand accounts of Gianna were given. In all of these accounts, family members and friends spoke of her appreciation of life and religion. One quote inpired me the most. "[Gianna took] pleasure in the small and great joys God grants us even in this world." I can always be greatful for the "great joys" that I experience such as when I succeed in a task or when I get a wonderful gift. This quote reminded me that we all should also be thankful for the "small joys" such as the weather on a nice day or a day that just seems to be going right. Often, I find this hard, but my eyes were opened to these small parts of my life.

During the pregnancy of her last child, Gianna discovered some complications that had three options to fix: an abortion, a surgery that would be very dangerous for the baby, or a surgery that would be very dangerous for Gianna. As she had a giving mother's spirit, Gianna chose the last option. Because of this, a few days after the baby was born, Gianna died. Her sacrifice for that of her child is incredible. I am not a mother, so I cannot really understand such love. I still ask myself, though, if I would be able to make such a sacrifice. Gianna knew that she would likely die, but she also knew that her baby would live. I also wonder how difficult the decision was to make.

There are thousands of Catholic saints out there. However, many of those modern saints are often overlooked. I am very glad that I could learn about a modern woman whose actions led her to become a saint. Who knows, maybe someone I know could become a saint.

No comments:

Post a Comment