Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fame Has Its Price


This weekend, my cousin came from Little Rock to take me out to eat, and she brought me a gift. No, it wasn't my birthday or some crazy holiday, but she found a book and Barnes and Noble that she thought was perfect for me. It is a giant (more that one foot by one foot at least) book that is about, guess who, Elvis Presley! It is about his life and is full of very nice pictures. I devoured it in about one night. I was really excited to read this book, but as I reached the end, something made me a little melancholy.




Elvis was a country boy, and being thrust into the spotlight was a huge shock to him. Throughout his career, he experienced changes; changes in his friends, changes in his family, and most of all, changes in himself. These changes can be seen in his personal appearance throughout the years. From eccentric young "rebel" to flashy, overweight icon, Elvis' problems definitely showed. He was tired of being surrounded by people who pretended to be his friend just to get in the spotlight. At one point he even said, "I'm tired of being Elvis Presley." All of that fame and Elvis' abundant lifestyle took its toll. He turned to prescription drugs and food as a comfort. Still, he was always devoted to his fans, and always tried to please them with his performances. He eventually overdosed on August 16th, 1977. He died young, he was only 42, so the question is always asked: "What could have been?"


Even though he died over thirty years ago, Elvis is still remembered. Still, it makes me sad to think of how such a talented person died in such a terrible way.

No comments:

Post a Comment