Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife Review

Audrey Niffenegger’s The Time Traveler’s Wife explores the extent of patience and love for others. It was touching and very enjoyable.

The theme of this book is love. The love between the two main character’s Henry and Clare is very complicated, but they still keep it alive. Niffenegger shows how far one will go for their love. The book shows the up, downs, ins, and outs of Henry and Clare’s relationship and life together.
Niffenegger uses a very unique style with this book. The Time Traveler’s Wife is written from both Henry and Clare’s perspective. Plus, all of the chapters include the dates in which the events happen since Henry time travels. I found this very helpful when I was trying to understand the book.

The two main characters in the book, Henry and Clare, were easy to feel for. That is, while reading, I could very clearly feel their emotions. I loved to see how they changed throughout the book.

The setting of The Time Traveler’s Wife was very confusing to me. Since Henry time travels, the setting could change in a flash without warning. However, the reoccurring settings were very well described.

To put it simply, Henry is a time traveler. He goes without warning, without noise, and without clothes. On one of his trips, Henry meets a young girl named Clare. Clare decides that she is going to marry Henry, a man who she knows all of her life and a man whose age changes each time she sees him. Finally, Clare meets the “real” Henry, the Henry that lives in the present. They fall madly in love, but how does one love a man who disappears?

I really liked The Time Traveler’s Wife. I would recommend this book for anyone. The book was not too sappy, but it was touching. However, I do not think that this book it suitable for younger people, as it is very sexual at times. Also, The Time Traveler’s Wife is clearly very long, but I did not even think of that since I enjoyed the book as much as I did.

560 Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment