Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

How to Pick a Confirmation Name

Do you know how to pick a confirmation name? Seriously, I need some help.

This July, I'm going to get confirmed in my church. Confirmation is a rite of passage that shows that a person has decided to be fully Catholic. It is a huge deal. I have to take classes until July and the bishop, a man named Anthony Taylor, is coming to Batesville to confirm us. One part of the process is choosing a name. A candidate for confirmation gets to pick a saint's name to take as part of their name. No, this will not be part of my legal name, but in the church records, I will have an extra name. This is all very exciting, but I am finding choosing a name to be extremely difficult. I have gone through numerous books and I have been reading tons of articles on websites such as this site and this site. If you decide to look at these websites, you can see that there are thousands of saints for me to choose. This is narrowed down a little because I do not really want to take a male name. Even after eliminating the male names, there are still tons of choices. How am I supposed to choose?

This has been on my mind since they told us to start looking at names. I cannot chose a saint that is boring or that does not "speak to me." I have a few that I am leaning towards, but I just cannot choose!

I have been thinking that maybe I should be glad that I did not have to choose my own legal name. Maybe I should thank my parents for that. Having a pretty awesome name, I have reason to thank them. If I would have had to choose my own name, I am sure that I would still be picking. For now, I only have to worry about my confirmation name. At least I have a deadline.

4 comments:

  1. I wish you the best of luck. You'll figure it out. Don't worry, when you see the right one, you'll know[[:
    Love you♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that sounds like a really cool idea. Have you chosen since you posted this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about 95% sure that I'm going to go with Cecilia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name Olivia...but when I researched her...she is known for taking a stand...

    ReplyDelete